Department of Archaeology, Tamilnadu Protected Monuments
|Sl. No||Name of the Monuments||Locality|
|1||Armamalai Caves||Malayampattu, Gudiyattam|
|2||Seven Mothers Sculptures||Perunkanchi, Walajah|
|3||Tombs of Ceylon King||Vellore|
|4||Valleeswarar Temple||Thakkolam, Arakkonam|
|5||Kanja Sahib Tomb||Sholingar, Walajah|
King of Kandi’s Cemetery
The King who at the last reigned Sri Lanka – a Tamil King named Vikrama Raja Singha’s cemetery is now being called as the cemetery of Kind Kandi.
The monument can be located travelling around 150 meters West from the new bus stand of Vellore. The monument is currently being addressed as “Muthu Mandapam” by the people.
Kandi of Sri Lanka was reigned by King ‘Rajadi Rajan’. As he was not bestowed with progeny to reign the rule, his brother-in-law named Kannusamy, reigned the thrown in the name of Vikrama Raja Singha. The King fought against the Britishers took the upper hands . Thereby, the King left the palace with his family. But the Britishers arrested him and prisoned in Vellore by banishing him and his family from the country to avoid the favour by the public to the King. He was imprisoned in Vellore from 08.03.1816. After 16 years of imprisonment, Vikrama singha died on 31.08.1832. His body was buried near Palatrangarai. His kith and kin were buried near him. This goes the history of the cemetery of Kind Kandi.
The Cemetery of Kanja Sahib, Sholingar
This Monument is located near a prominent road, opposite to Sholingar bus stand of Walajah Taluk. This monument with a width of 15 feet and length of 35 feet is called as Kanja Sahib cemetery. This cemetery is being preserved as one of the monuments by the Archaeological department. This is constructed with stucco and bricks. A battle was held in 1781 against the Britisher by the warriors of Tippu Sultan in which the warrior died against in the field of Sholingar. It is believed that a big pit was dug and the dead bodies of the soldiers were buried in the pit. To verify this incident, it is engraved at the top of the yard.
The inscription goes as follows:-
The Status of Seven Mothers – Perunkanchi
The statues of Seven Mothers are one among the monuments being preserved by the archeological department. The monument is located in the east of Perunkanchi, a way from Walajah to Sholinghur. The statues sculptured here belongs to the Pallava Kings of 8th century. These statues serve as the best example fiction of the Pallava’s art of sculpture.
The Seven mothers are:-
The statues of Vinyagar and Veerabathirar locaedhere is even more noteworthy.
The paintings of Pallava period – Arumamalai
The paintings of Pallava period, could be located in Melmalaiyampattu village of Vaniyambadi Taluk in Vellore District can be viewed in the small hills of that area. The paintings of Jain statues were seen on the top of the naturally found cave structures. These artifacts were destroyed over a period of time. The residues of the paintings alone are available currently. Dr.Nagasamy gives a detailed view of those monumental paintings in his noted named “Oviya Paavai”. Yet the remains of the paintings of 7 & 8th century alone could be seen now. The restored and edifice of the Jain construction would be viewed right under the cave paintings. A few Paleolithic monuments are found near this place along with the black and red pot & tiles in the nearby ash mound.